Thursday, May 16, 2013

A running me vs a mountain thunderstorm.

I just got home from a run in the rain. A thunder, howling winds, and sleet kind of rain.

This is the best thing to happen all week!
(I'm sure that's not what you were expecting me to say was it?!)

Maybe I should back up to explain.

On the heels of my-best-mothers-day-ever weekend where I got to do what I want and drink mojitos and have a bonfire and hang out with friends I had the brilliant idea that it was time to get rid of Sis's paci. Again.

The thing is that she was an intense baby. She was so intense that she rarely would go for fifteen minutes without starting to get grumpy. West diaper, change scenery, change diaper again, now I'm overtired and dont want to sleep, there is a stranger in the house! (who is not really a stranger they come over often). When she was two weeks old my parents, brother, and sister-in-law came to visit. This is supposed to be the time where newborns just sleep and sleep and let anyone hold them. Not Sis. She knew when I was not holding her even then and was not having it. And by the end of the weekend she was so overtired from all the over stimulation of all the people holding her and talking to her that she cried and cried and cried and cried. And the only thing that would help her was being swaddled tight tight tight (thank you daddy.) and her pacifier. This was a trend that continued throughout much of her babyhood. Although we tried to get her too, she would not fall asleep without being swaddled until she was 8 months old.

And the paci. We have tried to get rid of it twice before. Each time failed miserably. The first nap/nighttime would go ok and it would quite quickly go down hill from there. Missed naps, late bedtimes and a very very cranky girl that no one wanted to deal with. So we would give her the paci back just so we could all get some sleep.

But it's starting to affect her teeth. And she is almost three. Time to bite the bullet. We talked it up. We said that she was a big girl now and big girls don't have pacis. She of course added that she was a princess. She did it. She put her paci in the trash. She knew what was happening. But of course, with this intense girl, all the preparation hasn't changed much. Currently, she is standing at her door, with it open crying. LOUDLY. And in an 800 sq. ft. house with hardwood floors it echoes quite a bit. We are all miserable. She is up several times a night. She is having a really hard time falling asleep at night as well.

But we are committed this time. It is time to give it up. So we just have to tough out the next week or so until she gets the hang of it.

Because she is not getting good sleep, she is cranky. CRANKY! When my kids are hungry or tired no one wants to be around them.  So, on the heels of my super restful weekend I walked into this mess. At least the weekend as helped me get through the week so far. :) BUT. There comes a time when the reserves are gone. That was today. I hadn't had any good time by myself for more than a week. I usually get at least one run by myself in a week and that hadn't happened SO instead of running with my running partner today as I would normally, I told her I needed to go out by myself.

As I steeped out it was a breezy 72 degrees, mostly cloudy with rain coming in over the mountains. What I've learned about mountain weather so far is that it's weird and you really have no idea what it is going to do. Generally, if it is snowing in the mountains it is not likely that it will be snowing in town. I thought this would be true for rain as well. So I head out, without my music because I needed it to be quiet so I could think and just be. As I ran out of town towards the mountains I saw the storms clouds start moving towards town. I still thought it would blow over, until I turned the corner and started heading back towards town. The wind was pushing me. It was blowing all the little bits of dirt and gravel all over the back of my legs. It was howling. Literally. Like a huge mythological dog that lives in the clouds was chasing me. And because the wind was pushing me I was running like he was chasing me. ha! I was about 1.5 miles from my car. A small enough distance that I thought I could outrun the clouds. Until I felt the drops on the back of my legs. The storm was licking my heels. The thunder rolled. And then it poured. The clouds just dropped it all. As I rounded the corner on 3rd street, the finally stretch, I felt something sting my arm. I looked around and there was sleet everywhere. Soon the sleet was outnumbering the raindrops. My legs still have sleet marks. The temperature had obviously dropped, and while it could have been miserable, it wasn't. I mean, what was I going to do? Either run through it and be miserable. Or run through it and love it. I choose to love it. And by the time I got to my car it had stopped and the sun had all but come out, I was soaking wet and ready to take on the rest of the day.

I think it was just the kind of challenge I needed to refocus myself for the end of the week.

How do you refocus?

No comments:

Post a Comment